Week Five: The Graphic Novel

     In class, 

      For homework,  Contract with God by Will Eisner, was about a man named Frimme Hersh. He lives in a tenement at No.55 Dropsie Ave. in the middle of the Bronx.
To be honest, I never knew really anything about Jewish culture or religion in general, but I can relate the Hersh, as I think anyone could in that situation. He made a contract with God, he lived his whole life being good and doing what a person of Jewish religion should. Only to have his daughter die.

I can compare it to when you work your hardest every day you're never late, you do everything you're supposed to do and more. Then it comes time to get rewarded or recognized you're up for a promotion, but you don't get it. The person that is always late, leaves early, and never gets anything done, gets handed the recognition and you get to watch. It seems like the agreement you made with your boss when you took the job is a disregarded promise. Broken like the contract that Hersh made with God. I'm the kind of person that does what I've been told to do and even more.  I can see how it would be easy to react the same way Hersh did.

Will Eisner's illustrations are powerful even though they're black and white.
When Hersh is coming home in the rain, I am able to feel the weight of his loss hanging over him, the rain making the emotion she feels on the outside show in the world around him. Hersh seems to be pelted down with each raindrop. The illustration of him sitting on the floor after he has put his daughter's picture away is full of pain because he is so distraught.

I appreciated that they included the backstory of what happened to the daughter. Anyone would be angry if their child died, Hersh had an exceptional form of hatred. The backstory really helped explain the whys.

 I can very much relate to what happened in a way. My fur baby Roxy died last semester, I cried for weeks and I had no one to blame, but myself.

Comments