Week Four: The Comic Book

     In class, I got the opportunity to read Weird Adventure Comics NO. 433. This is a DC comic the was published in 1973 and this is an original publication. Being a Graphic Design student I mostly noticed the ads throughout the book. One of these ads was a two-page ad from Disney. This is extremely cool to see because even now, everywhere you look Disney is around us so even back then Disney was prominent. One of the ads was geared towards men. The advertisement stated not to be "Half A Man!" and to buy the subscription to the DC comics.

I also picked Two-Fisted Tales NO.15. This is an EC comic published in the 1950s however this was reprinted in 1996. In this book, there were only ads on the front inside cover and on both pages of the back cover. Both of these ads were to subscribe to the comic book services.

The next comic I choose was a Disney Comic. "Donald Duck Adventures: Who Is Donald Duck???" This is NO. 15. The stories in the book were first published in May 1950, 1988, 1986, and July1950. The copy that I have received was a reprint and was digitally colored for reproduction.
The ads are again located on the front inside cover as well as both sides of the back cover. The ad on the front inside cover is only black and white, and the same goes for the back inside. While the back cover is in full cover.


      For homework, I read the Superman (1958 Oct. Superboy #68), Batman (1940, Batman #1), and Captain America (1941, Captain America #5) comics that were located in the recourse page.

All three of these comics are about heroes who wear costumes and fight evil. However, Batman is a billionaire man that trained himself to fight "evil" instead of having superpowers. All three of these comics use a similar format and layout.
Narration is in the yellow boxes to help connect the information to the story. Both are action-packed, however, the "bad guy" in Superman was more intimidating than the bad guy of Captin America and Batman. Captain America is extremely patriotic, the story contains lots of soldiers and Nazis. Superman seems to fight ordinary, "every day" criminals, While Batman's bad guys seem evil such as characters like the Joker.

The color in Batman was the most vibrant and the images really showed action. I enjoyed reading the Batman comics more than the other comics, they were easily read and the stories kept me entertained. Each of these comics all showed the very first use of BLAM and WHAM.

 The ads in all of these comics were something to laugh at. In Superman comics, you can order a costume just like his, so you too can fight crime and be superman. I understand this ad is more towards young kids and teens however when I saw this ad I could only picture a GROWN MAN running around in a cheaply made costume.


Comments