Week Six: Underground Comix
In class, watching The Yellow Submarine all I could think was, what kind of drugs were they on when they were making this.
Note: watch the "Crumb" documentary. (Robert Crumb)
I got the comic book called "The Collected Adventures of The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers."
Right away I noticed that the cover had three men running away from the police while smoking something out of a hookah, in very hippie-dippie type clothing and one of the guys is carrying something that just says "DOPE."
Inside the comic, it was all back ink no color and had a decent amount of writing and a bunch of cuss words, which I actually enjoyed because it wasn't every sentence, but they were used frequently. There was also a decent amount of nudity in the funniest of ways.
The back cover was really cool too. It has really big letters that again spell "DOPE" and there are two columns that are labeled "before" and "after."
The before has three soldiers saluting and they are very proper and well-groomed.
The after has three Hippies and they all look like they're up to no good. One is even flicking us off while popping some kind of pill into his mouth.
For homework, I read Dirty Duck that was published in the Mickey Mouse Airpirates funnies. I got the feeling that they were talking about being on acid. Mostly they talked about the war.
I would assume that this comic piece was from the late 1960s to the early1970s. I feel like the illustrations are poorly executed and the graphics and texts are very hard to read. However, I understand that is the point.
The "Dirty Duck" name fits this story because he is pretty raunchy and his behavior is very crude. The Dirty Duck artists made sure to include a lot of images of the male genitalia which were not very subtle. The storylines were not very strong and don't really make sense most of the time, however, the artist does make some references to events of that time.
For example, he says his friend might get taken by the CIA. Nudity still present, but not dominant. The duck is always looking to have sex with the female characters even though he is much older.
I did like the part where the music student hits the duck with a boxing glove for being a creep but that really doesn't stop him. He eventually wants to kill himself because he was rejected by the girl but he changes his mind in the end. I don't exactly understand why people liked or wanted to read these comics because the illustrations are bad and the writing/story is terrible. Inconclusion, I think many people like and read them because they are underground.
Note: watch the "Crumb" documentary. (Robert Crumb)
I got the comic book called "The Collected Adventures of The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers."
Right away I noticed that the cover had three men running away from the police while smoking something out of a hookah, in very hippie-dippie type clothing and one of the guys is carrying something that just says "DOPE."
Inside the comic, it was all back ink no color and had a decent amount of writing and a bunch of cuss words, which I actually enjoyed because it wasn't every sentence, but they were used frequently. There was also a decent amount of nudity in the funniest of ways.
The back cover was really cool too. It has really big letters that again spell "DOPE" and there are two columns that are labeled "before" and "after."
The before has three soldiers saluting and they are very proper and well-groomed.
The after has three Hippies and they all look like they're up to no good. One is even flicking us off while popping some kind of pill into his mouth.
For homework, I read Dirty Duck that was published in the Mickey Mouse Airpirates funnies. I got the feeling that they were talking about being on acid. Mostly they talked about the war.
I would assume that this comic piece was from the late 1960s to the early1970s. I feel like the illustrations are poorly executed and the graphics and texts are very hard to read. However, I understand that is the point.
The "Dirty Duck" name fits this story because he is pretty raunchy and his behavior is very crude. The Dirty Duck artists made sure to include a lot of images of the male genitalia which were not very subtle. The storylines were not very strong and don't really make sense most of the time, however, the artist does make some references to events of that time.
For example, he says his friend might get taken by the CIA. Nudity still present, but not dominant. The duck is always looking to have sex with the female characters even though he is much older.
I did like the part where the music student hits the duck with a boxing glove for being a creep but that really doesn't stop him. He eventually wants to kill himself because he was rejected by the girl but he changes his mind in the end. I don't exactly understand why people liked or wanted to read these comics because the illustrations are bad and the writing/story is terrible. Inconclusion, I think many people like and read them because they are underground.
Comments
Post a Comment