Week Nine: World of Comics

      For homework, I read The Black Incal by Moebius and Jodorowsky. The time period is set in the future and follows the main character, John Difool. John is a private investigator and he is portrayed as the anti-hero in main of the old Noir films. He is rough looking, hasn't shaved in a while, his clothes are messy and the exact opposite of neat. There are bandages covering his injuries. Just like the detectives from Noir, his motives are not completely pure. John hangs out with robot hookers and people from the "shady side" of town. You would most definitely not let him babysit your kids.

He finds the Incal but doesn't exactly understand it or its value and power.

Let's talk about the layout. This particular comic uses four basic colors in varying vibrant tones. The figures that are shown show realism, but there are lots of nonhumans type figures, like "monster-ish." The layout is basic five to six panels per page and makes the comic easy to follow which panel you are supposed to be on, however, the speech bubbles are ALL OVER THE PLACE and this made it very confusing. I did reread the same page multiple times because of this to better understand the materials.

They use the old fashioned word art for the sound effects such as "KPOW!" Which made this extremely enjoyable because when I think of comics these words are things that come to mind.

Some sections of the story are similar to ironic fairy tales. For example: he meets a princess that looks pure,  and to add an effect she even is drawn specifically with a halo. He must return her back by midnight or he will not receive payment. The most epic ironic part is that while they fight the clock turns to midnight and she turns into a saggy old lady. That part really got me and
I had to stop reading because I instantly busted out in laugher.

 I don't see a difference in this comic compared to the ones in the U.S. However... That ending though, it will defiantly stick with me.

Comments